Friday, January 9, 2009

eating me alive

Edit: This was actually written on November 11, 2008 but I never got around to posting it. I has to be back dated to make any sense.

Brains. That lumpy mass in our heads. Three pounds of unknown & “working on being mapped out” mess. But what a mess they create! Functional. Non-functional. Growths that don’t belong. This is where I’m at. By the time this is posted, my mom will be in surgery to remove hers. The growth. In her brain.

It seems so awkward to say that. Brain surgery. It’s what happens on t.v. or in other people’s lives. Not mine. Not my mom’s.

I happened to picked up a book the other day at the library titled “What Is Death: A Scientist Looks at the Cycle of Life” by Tyler Volk. Once again, totally random. The whole second chapter is the short story version on the function of the brain. Just as I start into that chapter last week, mom calls with the news.

I’m at a loss for words…

April has a brain theory. She read an article on how forgetting small daily things helps your brain in the grand scheme of things; it makes your brain super smart. Like defragmenting.

*side note that I think is funny as hell: my spell check doesn’t like “defragmenting” and suggested “decrementing” instead. Ha ha!*

So back to the story, her theory is that she’s super smart, ‘cuz she forgets lil things all the time. She’s ok with this theory, but of course, her husband isn’t. Men just don’t get it.

Long story short – I’m suppose to remember everything she says. And write it down later.
I’ll get right on that.

Edit #2: Mom's surgery went well. She's doing fine.

No comments: